The year 2020 has certainly been challenging so far and whilst the Coronavirus has brought most of the world to a halt, it’s not stopped Minster Law in its quest to continue with learning and development (L&D). With the business still fully operational and the majority of colleagues working from home, never have our values of Stand Together, Be Courageous and Find a Way been put to the test like they have over the last few months. As a platinum Investors in People company, investing in our people is more important than ever during these unprecedented times.
We remain fully committed to delivering learning and development opportunities to our colleagues and recently hosted an inspiring Learning at Work Week. The week saw us deliver L&D on a completely digital platform, using Microsoft Teams to successfully deliver 20 sessions to 236 attendees from across the business throughout the week.
There was an action packed schedule covering some very interesting and insightful topics for both professional and personal development. The sessions were broken down into six different areas:
- All about us – hosted by different departments, these sessions were designed to give insight into the teams, what they do and an opportunity to get to know our colleagues a bit more.
- Learning journeys – Some of our amazing colleagues shared their own personal learning journeys, how they got to where they are now, the triumphs and tribulations of their journey and an opportunity to ask questions.
- Practical learnings – From IT to time management, we had it covered. Our colleagues had sessions with subject matter experts so problems like Excel formulas needn’t keep them awake at night anymore.
- Learning and development – Learning Platform – The L&D team couldn’t wait to share the new Learning Platform and how to access some of its fabulous features.
- Hints and tips for successful remote working – For some of our colleagues this was the first time ever working from home. These sessions covered some fantastic learning tools and ideas that can support home working.
- Wellbeing session – managing stress – Led by one of our mental health ambassadors, the sessions provided hints and tips to help effectively manage stress at home and in the workplace.
We have had fantastic feedback across the board on Learning at Work Week and the experience has taught us a different way of learning together during challenging times.
Stuart Hanley, our deputy head of legal services, attended a session on our customer support centre (CSC) and said: “It’s great to see the energy and enthusiasm of CSC has not been diminished by lockdown and we had a very informative overview with some useful lessons for the rest of our business.”
A delegate who attended a session on managing stress said: “I found the session really helpful. Hearing other people’s coping strategies really helped give me new ideas on how to cope myself. It was also lovely to see other people’s faces as it’s quite lonely in the office right now!”
Standing by our values shows us anything is possible. To find out more about our commitment to learning and development and working for Minster Law, please visit careers.